Wednesday 18 September 2013

Thai Red Chicken Curry with Cashews




As a foodie I like to try new recipes all the time. But I also really cherish my favorite recipes which I make over and over again for years and are always a succes.
One of our favorite weeknight meals is Thai red chicken curry with cashew nuts. I think I once found it in the Dutch Delicious magazine, but I'm not sure because of the many magazine clippings I collected.

It has been modified slightly because there were just a few vegetables in the original recipe.
I added  green beans and some extra pepper. 
It's quickly finished with noodles that only need to be soaked in some boiled water.

Once all the ingredients are prepared it's a quick and tasty weeknight meal. With a little heat from the curry paste and a crunch from the cashews.
I think the Mae Ploy curry pastes taste so good that, especially for a weeknight meal, it really doesn't make sense to make the paste from scratch.


My favorite brand of Thai red curry paste


Thai red chicken curry with cashew nuts

Main course for 2 persons

Ingredients:
-          1 tablespoon groundnut or sunflower oil
-          1 tablespoon Thai red curry paste (I use Mae Ploy; see picture)
-          1 large red pepper, cut into thin strips
-          300 grams chicken breast, cut into strips
-          200 grams of green beans, halved and + / - cooked 7 minutes
-          1 clove garlic, minced
-          1 tablespoon oyster sauce
-          1 tablespoon fish sauce
-          1 tablespoon brown sugar
-          2 spring onions, chopped
-          50 grams (roasted, salted) cashews 
-          150 grams of noodles or white rice,  to serve

1) Cook the green beans (if not already done) and keep the cooking water for the noodles to soak.

2) Heat the oil in a wok and stir-fry the curry paste and chicken about 2 minutes.
Add the peppers, garlic and green beans and stir-fry briefly.

3) Add the oyster sauce, fish sauce and sugar and let simmer on low heat for about 4 minutes.

4) Add the spring onions and fry for 2 more minutes. Soak the noodles in the boiled water according to package directions.

5) Sprinkle with cashews just before serving.

Serve with noodles, white rice or fried noodles.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Laat een berichtje achter